Nexus Investments, part of the wider 25-year Nexus group, sources and invests in EIS qualifying opportunities across specifically growth focused businesses, engaging in macroeconomic issues within the Data, Digital, Education and Health sectors. Initially, this was pursued on a deal-by-deal basis, building an exciting portfolio of 20 companies since 2014. As a natural continuation of this promising strategy, Nexus Investments’ EIS Scale-Up Fund was launched in 2018, as a small AIFM enabling advisers and investors to benefit from Nexus’ track record of sourcing and managing fast growth UK companies scaling up.
Harry Hyman, Group Managing Director
Harry, a Chartered Accountant who qualified at PriceWaterhouse, is a successful and serial entrepreneur, with over twenty years’ experience in fund management and investment in the healthcare and real estate sectors. He is the founder and Managing Director of both Nexus Group and Primary Health Properties PLC, which is listed on the FTSE 250 with a healthcare focused property portfolio of over £1 billion.
Matthew O’Kane, Managing Director
Matt is a Chartered Accountant, formerly of Deloitte and PwC, who has also spent time at a leading UK EIS Investment house, and on secondment at Bridgepoint, prior to joining Nexus to spearhead its investment division from 2013. A tax specialist, he has sourced the vast majority of NIVL’s 20 existing portfolio company clients, sitting on the Main Board or Advisory Board of a number of the UK’s most promising businesses.
Douglas Lidgitt, Associate Director
Douglas is a Chartered Accountant with a wealth of corporate finance experience, from EY and prior to that BDO. He brings a network of both venture capital and private equity funds for potential follow on investments / exits in addition to strong technical skills and knowledge of investment structures.
- Strong Deal Flow: Existing portfolio founders, investors and advisers refer top quality deals to us due to the high-quality added value they have seen us bring. Also, as a consequence of Nexus Investments being a part of the wider Nexus group, Nexus Investments is a sister division to Investor Publishing – the eyes and ears of both the Health Investor and Education Investor communities in the UK and globally. This provides the Fund with unrivalled knowledge of latest developments and trends within those two sectors. This should make a positive difference both when sourcing prospective Investee Companies, and assessing the investment merits of each one, but also in later years when assessing optimum exit opportunities and potential acquirers. In addition, Nexus Investments have the opportunity to invest in the most exciting and promising companies from our existing deal-by-deal portfolio.
- Skin in the Game: The Nexus Investments’ Team will invest through the Fund alongside investors, committing over £200,000 at launch, demonstrating an alignment of interests between investors and those managing the Fund.
Our investment approach follows on from the promising strategy implemented since 2014 in our deal-by-deal portfolio. Therefore, the Fund’s core focus will continue to invest in early stage EIS qualifying companies operating within the Data, Digital, Education and Health sectors. In order to identify these promising, fast-growing businesses in our favoured sectors, we rigorously assess the 100 opportunities we see annually according to our following criteria:
- Management – Exceptional ‘Mission Driven’ Founders with either leading academic or corporate qualifications/ experience, or previous successful exits
- Concept – A great and original concept that is “peeking into the future” that now needs capital to deliver
- Scale – Ability of the product and appetite of the founding team to scale into new markets and distribution
- Route to Market – Ability to demonstrate traction in the market
- The Right Approach – Receptiveness to shareholder and advisor guidance / mentoring
- Route to Exit – The management team have demonstrated there will be potential acquirers and that the business is working to a successful sale of the company.
Key Services and Funds
Nexus Investments’ EIS Scale-Up Fund
The Fund, which is Evergreen (i.e. has monthly closes), launches in 2018 and allows investors to invest across a diversified collection of early stage EIS qualifying companies that will be managed by Nexus Investments. The Fund is intended for investors who want to back established, but early-stage UK entrepreneurled businesses, with high growth potential in the aforementioned sectors, while benefitting from the long established EIS tax incentives.
We also continue to advise our existing portfolio of exciting companies in our 4 chosen sectors, as each scales and sources their next stages of capital.